Monday, April 21, 2014

Short Easter Monday Holiday Post

Hello Moldova, France, Spain, and the United Kingdom and welcome to Easter Monday...and also to the blog and another shortish holiday post...gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed my day off yesterday...did nothing much more than eat, sleep, and potter around the garden...even turned the ABC/BBC Radio off for a couple of hours...it was a bit unsettling in that I kept feeling there was something I had to do (this blog), but so much sleep, so nice...

Slept in, had a nap in the arvo once I'd decided to not do a post...snoozed off on the couch after a big dinner and some chocolate for afters...slept in another hour this morning...(luxury-Ed)...my point exactly, it is luxury...and I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't feel that just doing a blog is any sort of employment, or at least one that you don't get payed for doing...(like this blog?-Ed)...exactly like this one...but for me yesterday was exactly like a day off...

I cannot speak for other bloggers but I put a goodly slice of myself in every little serve of this here blog...been through all this before, but I do have days where 'posting' takes chunks and leaves scars and then other days where it almost seems not a complete waste of time...I'd be fully prepared to participate in a discussion about how I may possibly have transferred from my child who's now basically moved on, that sense of caring and responsibility of parenthood, transferred, to, well everything else...and always fueled by the sense of guilt and failure re the St Martins Lutheran School Child Abuse Cover-up...

Let's get right down to brass tacks though because this particular post is about celebrating and acknowledging and rejoicing and remembering what it is that we all have that makes it worth getting out of bed...(albeit an hour late-Ed)...that, sir, was an official holiday sleep-in...I don't have much compared to some and so much compared to many others, and whilst my life may not exactly be where I'd planned, despite a perpetual semi-disaster, I've fallen on reasonable times.

And I'm not gloating or bragging or anything stupid like that when it comes to being on the Disability Support Pension and/or having my Housing Trust home, my little car, etc, it's all about being aware and acknowledging and where appropriate, gratitude...for example, how lucky am I that when my car roots up I've got family pushing a 'loan' on me for a new one?...and I gratefully took a small percentage of what was offered and got just what it was I needed, nothing more.        

Then yesterday went to the shops in my little car and bought enough food to get me through a couple of days from the vast reservoir of fresh, preserved, tinned, local, imported food stuffs available in that cavernous warehouse of consumerables, then trundled home, spent several hours tidying-up round the backyard, did some laundry in my little washing machine and dried it in front of the heater, had chicken for lunch, played Xbox for 1/2 hour, had not one but 2 hot showers, threw the excess water on the garden...

Today washed the dog, before doing a slab of Roast Lamb and associated vegies with beautiful smells wafting through the house, whilst blogging, and all to the delicate sound of light rainfall with just a hint of gunfire over the back fence...(sorry, what?-Ed)...there's a couple of people just over at the Mt Gambier Gun Club blazing away madly...

(Just One Of Those Clays?-Ed):...yeah, just a casual bit-piece bangin' today...not the usual day long bangathon that occasionally falls on a public holiday, just the odd random "pull" and Bang!, sometimes Bang! Bang!...ah, gunfire in a vaguely appropriate context...not my idea of a quiet weekends entertainment but there you go...and I digress because I was just talking about all of the great things that I've been doing across my day off...and it was great...(great-Ed)...things to be celebrated I'm sure... 

Fundraisers In Da' House: In a previous post I was somewhat sceptical if not actually critical of the 'Homelessness Fundraiser' recently held at the Barn Palais, and in the spirit of the season, I might possibly have been less than gushing about this particular event and I still have my reservations, but maybe it did achieve something along the lines of that which it claimed, namely, to raise money for services for 'the homeless'...more tomorrow...(trying to be nice 2 days in a row?...careful, you'll hurt something-Ed)...indeed.

Buckets Of Cash On Tap: And I can't mention the Barn Palais without being drawn to recent news that Regional Development Australia will only receive $3million funding from the Weatherill Labor government per annum, to be shared amongst it's 7 offices in SA...but that this is up $1.6m from the $1.4m currently available...and that this $3m is in part mimicking a Liberal promise (of I think $15m) from the March 2014 state election that has apparently been secured by the new Regional Minister Geoff Brock...(sure, but how does that relate to The Barn?-Ed)...

Well it wasn't that long ago that RDA Tourism officer Biddie Tietz (now Shearing) gave The Barn $140,000 for new taps as part of a multi-million dollar expansion, and whilst I think RDA funding was slightly larger at the time ($4.4m approx) that is still only $600k per annum per office across the state, which makes the huge tap amount a fair chunk of the RDAs yearly funding...anyhoos...

I must admit that it's difficult to keep up with what is really happening when it's reported in so many different ways, including from the man himself Independent Geoff Brock who was spruiking the new funding and jumped from the $3m per year to $15m and back again with quotes like;
     "My agreement with the premier confirms the State Government's commitment to increasing
      support for regional communities in South Australia, with an additional $39m package of
      measures from a combination of new and existing funding."   (The Border Watch Wednesday 16th April 2014) 

(Additional $39m from existing funding?...isn't that therefore not 'additional' if it comes from 'existing'?-Ed)...yeah, a tad pedantic but it is a fair point...and in the same article back and forwards between a $15m a year RDA fund and the $3m a year...no wonder I get confused...there's also the promise of an one-off $10m "to support job creation" but no detail as to what those jobs might be...(oo, I've just thought of a number-Ed)...ah well then you can play too...

Enough for a holiday post today, moving on to;

Tomorrow: The Council Meeting 15th April 2014

Back to the grind tomorrow...as promised the stuff about the Council shenanigans again...hope you've enjoyed this brief 'holiday' reposte re these brief holiday posts.

I am Nick Fletcher and this is my blog...and I ain't no Messiah, but I've most assuredly had my fair share of being crucified...cheers and laters...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment