Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mt Gambier City Council Meeting 15th April 2014 (Almost)

Hello USofA, Indonesia, Poland, and Ukraine...howdy y'all and welcome to the blog...and not a whole lot to report really from Council's meeting last week, it was all a bit dull...(well, when compared to meetings like say the one where Mayor Steve Perryman cited a 'Conflict Of Interest' re accommodation just moments before the Old Hospital Demolition was awarded to McMahons from Adelaide?-Ed)...no, not quite...

(Not the sort of meeting that then led to an alleged investigation by the Independent Commission Against Corruption into the aforementioned 'COI' and related issues of insider trading and/or other corruption?-Ed)...no, not that sort of meeting...(or that time there were so many Councillors excluded from the Chamber with COIs that they were cracking jokes about it until they realised they no longer had a quorum and therefore couldn't vote?-Ed)...ah happy days, happy days indeed but no, not even that sort of meeting...

In fact, I think there wasn't a single COI moment...(you sure you were at the Mt Gambier City Council?-Ed)...oh yeah, quite sure...(so I guess that means 'puffing out' the post with some warming memories and amusing anecdotes of shenanigans past-Ed)...shhh, they won't notice if you don't mention it...(oo sorry-Ed)...

And because I've mouthed off about it before, I happened to run into Councillor Penny Richardson outside pre-meeting and she was quite pleasant, we discussed (and I congratulated her for the part she played in achieving) the Pedestrian Crossing that is soon to be placed at the Andami/Jubilee Hwy site...there was no sense of discomfort or being intimidated or threatened from Cr Richardson which I will grab as an indicator of trust and understanding...(sorry what?-Ed)...

Cr Richardson has seen me in all my inglorious bastardness all up in Rory McEwen's grill and shizzle that day outside the Polling Booth when I put Rory in touch with some of his fundamental realities as a human being...(well, you called him a f***ing paedophile f*** repeatedly and with feeling-Ed)...well yes, yes I did...and 100% the feedback has been thanks, not criticism, thanks...seems people don't mind seeing Rory get a bit of accountability shoved in his face.

Do you think Rory was concerned at all that this might just be the time that Nick Fletcher showed his own version of vaguely human behaviours and finally slapped him one?...(ah yeah he was pretty rattled, you are after all quite a large and demonstrative person, arguably very intimidating, and you were really flensing into the meat of the matter...it took a minute, but he was rattled alright-Ed)...would it be unhealthy to take pride in 'rattling' an old man like that, even if it was Rory?...(yes, that would not be healthy at all-Ed)...then it's a good thing that I don't...far as I'm concerned, it ain't nuthin' but a Thang...(nuthin' but the Thang-Ed)...indeed.

Anyhoos, Cr Richardson unwittingly had a front row seat to that little tete a tete and was herself clearly shaken at the time, and I tried to apologise for swearing, etc...anyhoos, despite that little effort on my behalf the last time I'd seen her, Cr Richardson felt comfortable in approaching me as such and discussing other issues...I believe that as thrown as she was in the moment, with the benefit of review has come the realisation that never at any time was I any threat beyond confrontational. 

Ooooo, Ahhh, Ooo, Aahhhh, Oooo Ahh: across the weekend a man slipped and dislocated his knee and hit his head some 200m underground in the Wet Cave at the world famous Naracoorte Caves...he was apparently okay but it took a dozen CFS volunteers and some cave staff nearly an hour to extricate said injured 'adventure caver'...and followed by less amusing news that a man was trapped between boulders after a rock-climbing accident near Horsham and is apparently extricated but not in a good way suffering hypothermia/exposure, etc...(watch out for having fun, it'll kill ya'-Ed)...   

Feedback: from me to availees re the difficulty I have in discussing some issues because of the fish-bowl nature of things here and round abouts the district, guvna', and there are some really juicy things I'm left unable to share because it'll immediately drop those involved right in it...I can only repeat that I try to be accurate and informed in my postings and there are just some things that I will have to state as fact without offering the supporting evidence...trust me, I'm not a real politician...

I have been asked as to why certain things haven't appeared in the blog at all and I can only repeat that I don't want to drag others into my shizzle where it is absolutely avoidable...in some cases just mentioning the issue drags others in, and I hope that all involved appreciate me not involving them...also please note that whilst a lot of the blog is about me and/or my experience of certain circumstances, I try very hard to not stray into just vindictive and/or malicious behaviour based on my own personal issues... 

Speak Out Against Violence: as a vaguely sane man I find it simply bewildering the extraordinary conduct of men towards women and children, often their own children...and in many respects the apparently contradictory messages that are being presented by authorities like SAPol...on TV, ad after ad about 'men speaking out' and interviews about 'intervening' and 'no sexism' and 'no violence', etc...I don't disagree but it's not my experience of how things play out in reality...

I'm still waiting to hear from SAPol re the incident a few weeks back where I was caught up in someone else's dickheadedness...and I also offer the previous posts re my neighbour beating his children and what I went through to 'force' a SAPol interview and have him charged, etc, as proof that I don't just mouth off about this stuff, I try to get something done...(fair enough...and of course there's the whole St Martins thing-Ed)...indeed.

I don't just say these things for my own amusement, I am an 'avowed pacifist' with absolutely no desire or disposition to engage in any violence...(outside of self-defense of course-Ed)...yeah, fair enough, but even then that's something that doesn't sit well with me...for example on so many levels, the incident some 5 weeks ago where I intervened when a young man was yelling at a terrified young woman in a car outside the Lakes (Centro) Plaza and he then threatened me.

For the sin of giving a damn I was immediately placed in a head space whereby I was thinking about how to really hurt this person in front of me because it looked like he wasn't going to give me a choice...that whole 'world slows down, goes silent, only thinking, only watching, only going to really hurt this person to stop him hurting me'...it affected me for weeks afterwards and I can still feel the vague ripples of that sensation of impending violence...(you big bloody hippy wimp-Ed)...guess so...but I'll explain why you're wrong some other post.   

And I came out of my self-imposed 12 hour media blackout 'holiday' straight into a wall of horrendous stories of men violently abusing their children and/or partners, including a stabbing murder of a mother just near a Court and another at a home, a father stealing his child then crashing the car and abandoning the 3yr old to burn to death, only saved by police, and then the murder of 2 young sisters by their father in the grandmothers home...what in god's name is wrong with us?

Across the ABC/BBC Radio there are regularly articles about violence against women, in particular in Africa, eg, a 'Domestic Violence' murder every 8hrs in South Africa, the targetting of young women in the escalating conflict in Nigeria, not least of all because they're attending school, etc, etc...young women in Australia face outrageous and alarmingly high rates of sexual assault to the degree that it has become almost an accepted part of some sectors of our society...I find it all deeply depressing...

And as this post threatens to sink into a morose dissertation, and yet again I haven't even grazed the Council meeting stuff, I'll finish here and say;

Tomorrow: More City Council Meeting Stuff

Thankyou for your anticipated patience, sympathies, and understandings of the very deeply personal issue that Familial violence is for me and so why I find these many 'Child Abuse' issues so confronting and demanding...tomorrow a dot-pointer re the Council stuff...

I am Nick Fletcher and this is my blog...make rumpy-pumpy not war...cheers and laters...    

No comments:

Post a Comment